[GRASS5] Where in the World...

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Sat Feb 3 17:40:51 EST 2001

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 08:33:25AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Eric G . Miller wrote:
>
> > Okay, here's a groovy html map'ed image of GRASS developer's and
> > contributors: http://www.jps.net/egm2/grassppl.html (*BIG* ~500k).
>
>   Neat! And it downloaded very quickly over our DSL line (and low
>   levels of Saturday morning 'Net traffic).
>
>   What's the source of the background image? I wasn't following the
>   thread.

There's a bunch of them at http://www.radcyberzine.com/xglobe/

The one I used was put together (and copyrighted) by Living Earth, Inc.

I figured, I wasn't going to get a decent looking World Map put together
in GRASS, since I don't have any good world data and I don't have to
bandwidth to get it.  So, I used xplanet, which was designed just for
this very thing (http://xplanet.sourceforge.net).  Unfortunately,
xplanet doesn't give any choice for markers, so I "touched up" the
image in GIMP (and used the new ImageMap tool -- nice...).  For
"purity", I should have done this in GRASS, but...  I'll probably add
the list to the GRASS sources (maybe in sites format) so others can play
with it (and add themselves to it!).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>