[GRASS5] site modules bug (?) - 1000 sites limit?

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Fri Jan 26 23:26:05 EST 2001

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 05:36:47PM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> it seems these days I am only bug-hunting...
>
> While visiting various sites format to implement
> multi-dimension support I found that
>
> in various readsite[s].c following is defined:
>
> int allocated=1000;
>
> [...]
>   (*xyz) = (Z *) G_malloc (allocated * sizeof (Z));
> [...]
>
> Am I right that this would cause problems with more
> than 1000 sites?
>
> But later there is some realloc statement. Mhhh...
>
> A general improvement would be to remove the individual
> readsite[s].c files and use the G_readsites_xyz() from
> Eric to move this function to API.

Yea, I kind of slowed down updating/changing all those modules.
Generally they work, right?  Some of these modules will read all the
data into memory, so really big sites list might cause memory problems.

If there's any that seem to have a pressing need for a change, let me
know.  Otherwise, I don't really intend to do much.  Seems this site
list format won't live much past 5.0 in it's current state, so at some
future date, *all* such modules will have to be revisted.

Currently, I'm trying to track down NVIZ memory leak in Keyframe
animation.  My initial investigation points to the ogsf library, but I'm
not sure.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>