[GRASS5] r3.showdspf: repaints o.k. now!

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Jan 24 06:07:58 EST 2001

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 11:15:31AM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> thanks for fixing the colortable size and the
> auto-redraw in r3.showdspf!
>
> To all:
> If the GRASS Monitor would learn this as well...
> Without and with XDM and backing store enabled,
> the GRASS Monitor is still not repainted under KDE.

It's still that it's blocked in a read (and can't respond to Xevents).

The hack on r3.showdspf is kind of ugly.  It screws up the terminal
interface a little as far as command prompts.  I just hacked in a
popen() and fork() to separate the windowing (and most everything) from
the blocked read at the command line.  That whole program is really more
proof of concept than full functional.  Though, it does seem to do a lot
better now (hey, buttons actually do something!).  The XDRIVER can't use
select() (which is used in r3.showdspf) unless it does an extra fork()
to separate the reading from the FIFO from the rest of the program.
Apparently you can't do a select() on a FIFO (they always block)???

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>