[GRASS5] bugs

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Thu Jan 18 01:59:50 EST 2001

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 10:40:38PM -0600, Helena Mitasova - staff wrote:
[snip]
> I too think that beta11 should be released ASAP and that
> the LZW should be removed now - it will be too late to
> do it after beta11, I am worried about it because i have
> about million FP raster files, but it really needs to be done and
> tested.

Helena, I have a GRASS module that will perform the translation from LZW
to LIBZ compression for floating point rasters an entire mapset at a
time.  It tries to be paranoid about making sure it can read what it
writes; so, the data is read/decoded/recoded to a temp file, then reread
and if successful transferred back to the original.  It seems to work
okay (but has had little testing) -- http://www.jps.net/egm2/r.lzw2z.tgz

It's meant entirely for those situations where a copy of an earlier
version of GRASS is not readily available.  Haven't worked out how to
distribute it, since it contains the offending LZW code.

(A shell script to run "r.compress -u" using earlier version of GRASS
before upgrading might be a little safer).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>