[GRASS5] Using GRASS in teaching

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Jan 15 16:42:34 EST 2001

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 06:16:12PM +0000, Dr.Michael Francis wrote:
> Dear friends,
> I am a relative newcomer to both GRASS and Linux. However, the little I
> have seen of both Linux and GRASS has interested me a great deal. In
> September 2001, we shall be starting a new Bsc course in GIS and I plan
> to use GRASS 5. This will be the first time a) Linux is being used in the
> Gulf countries, and b) GRASS is being used in the same region. I am based
> at a University in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. So, although this
> may be the wrong list for me to send this email but, you seem to be the
> knowledgable people regarding GRASS.
Thanks for your mail. You are in the GRASS developers list, so little
knowledge is accumulated here...

Perhaps you consider to subscribe to GRASS Users list as well:
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/support.html

> OK - my question is really a simple
> one. Now that I have decided to go ahead and design the course based on
> Linux/GRASS, I need to know what version I should use, and how to go
> about it. Are there any books around? Literature? Papers? Anything?? I
> would bge grateful for any advice.
We have a document collection right here:
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/index2.html
-> GRASS Resources (right column)
   -> Manuals and Documents

There you can find related material and even online GRASS courses.

Enjoy GRASS teaching,

 Markus Neteler

--
Markus Neteler *  University of Hannover
Institute of Physical Geography and Landscape Ecology