[GRASS5] Severe (simple to fix?) problem with current GRASS

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Jan 11 03:49:55 EST 2001

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 02:28:32PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> Hi Eric
>
> "Eric G . Miller" wrote:
> > Before fixing this problem.  Should we consider maybe eliminating it?
> > The only programs it really serves a purpose for are shell scripts and
> > compiled programs that have not yet implemented a G_parser() interface.
> >
> > I would suggest we consider just putting the executables in grass5/bin
> > directly and try to avoid some of these convoluted pathways (and weak
> > links) to the programs.  Undoubtedly I haven't considered something.
> > But I wanted to make the suggestion anyway.
>
> I agree, we should simply put the binaries in the bin directory. The
> only thing that would need to be done is all modules that have separate
> commands would need to be merged into a single program. I have no idea
> what that would entail though.

Hi Eric and Justin,

general I agree that me might simplify the bin/ section. However, there are
54 inter/ subdirectories which need to be merged (or whatever).
So we need to have front.end fixed until we have an idea how we can do this
merge without many hours of extra work as GRASS/CVS is broken at time.

Yours
 Markus