[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:1342] import of HDF imagery data

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Sun Jan 7 17:43:07 EST 2001

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 11:14:04AM -0600, Frank, Alan ERM wrote:
> Dear Grass Users:
>
> I am trying to import HDF imagery files (LANDSAT 7 TM satellite imagery)
> into Grass
>
> When I run the command r.in.hdf i get an error message " input file not
> found"
>

> I am running grass 5.0 on a unix workstation
>
> Any hints or advice by anyone on this procedure would be appreciated.

Hi Alan,

as Eric wrote - GRASS 5 binaries currently don't include
HDF support. However, in source code you will find a working
HDF3.2-based r.in.hdf. As this is quite behind the current
HDF5 we didn't included it into the binaries.

Perhaps HDF could become supported by "GDAL" raster library,
the r.in.gdal would read it later. Just an idea...

If you cannot compile the r.in.hdf and the HDF3.2 version would
do the job for your, I might send you compiled linux binaries of
this module. Please let me know per personal email.

Regards
 Markus Neteler