[GRASS5] some BUGS/missing features

Radim Blazek Radim.Blazek at dhv.cz
Fri Jan 5 02:17:21 EST 2001

Markus Neteler wrote:
> > r.poly:
> > r.poly respects the actual region settings, while r.line does not.
> > I think that at least for the new vector lib every module should either
> > use the actual region settings or ignore them. Not sure which is better.
Vectors will ignore region except conversion into raster. I think that all vector
modules ignore region now.

> > v.patch:
> > v.patch uses the region info from the first vector map header and
> > ignores the users region settings. As the region info from the map
> > header is not reliable, this should be upgraded in a future vector lib
> > redesign.
> David, Radim?
As I wrote in mail "new vector2" I propose move bounding box from dig
into dig_plus.

> > v.what/d.what.vect:
> > v.what -i and d.what.vect are very similar and could be merged to one
> > module? Not quite sure here.
> Yes! Same thing with r.what/d.what.rast.
> Or we decide that [rv].what are for script programming and
> d.what.[vect|rast] are for interactive usage. Should get comparable module
> behaviour.
I think always merge modules if possible.

> > v.alabel/v.llabel:
> > v.alabel does bulk labeling of areas, v.llable does bulk labeling of
> > line features. But there is no module to bulk label point features (site
> > vectors in GRASS terminology). This function is needed if you want to
> > intersect point features with area features (point-in-polygon test).
> v.slabel? I have added a note into TODO.
I want merge into v.category in g51 (and add: delete category, change
category number, ...)
(always merge modules if possible)

> > v.cutregion:
> > A module v.cutregion would be very handy to cut a vector map to the
> > actual region. When i import from ascii vector files all vectors get
> > imported, irrespectable if they fall into the current region or the
> > whole GRASS region. This stems from the handling of the ascii header i
> > think. With the new vector lib this could be handled correctly, but as a
> > intermediate fix a module v.cutregion would be very useful.
> I think this is on the way for 5.1 (David, Radim?).
Cutting areas is not so simple and we have already v.cutter.
I think that additional option for v.cutter
-r    use current region insted of cutter map
should help.
(always merge modules if possible)

Radim