[GRASS5] grass5.1 directories proposal

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Wed Jan 3 23:49:06 EST 2001

Hi Markus

This looks like a great start, but I have a few comments.

Markus Neteler wrote:
>             /ogsf       : ported gsurf library (required for NVIZ)

If this is required only for nviz, then it should be stored under nviz.

>         /libes    : transformations from one coord. system to another

I think we should call this "lib" for consistency.

>         /exchange    (import/export modules)

Hmmm. I think we should associate the name of this directory with data.
Something like /dataExchange or /dataPort. Exchange just doesn't seem
clear to me.

> Questions:
>   - core-package: shall we move the "/lib/plugins" to "/plugins" ?

No, since they are libraries they should be under /lib.

>   - shall we keep the unused directory?

If it contains old code, then no. If it contains code that could
possibly be used in a future release, then we should rename it. Perhaps
something like /futureCode or /newModules or some other pertinent name.

> Proposal:
>  - the number of import/export modules scripts needs to be heavily
> reduced.
>    At time there are 92 tools for import/export/tape analysis...
>
>  - Idea: The raster database structure should be changed to the G3D
>    structure: all files related to a raster map should go into one
>    directory. Currently many files are spreaded in many directories.
>    An example for the G3D data structure can be found here:
>    http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grid3d/index.html (sample
>    dataset)

I can't really comment on this one since I am not familiar with G3D, but
from a directory management point of view, it sounds good.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center