[GRASS5] Database linking question

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Tue Jan 2 22:49:27 EST 2001

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 08:45:29AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Eric G . Miller wrote:
>
> > I've been looking around for some other options, but what I've found
> > that looks good is always coded in C++.  A bit of a challenge to tie
> > into GRASS's C code.
>
>   What's wrong with PostgreSQL? There's already an interface with GRASS,
> too.

Yes, but the functionality is *really* limited.  I hate the idea of
having to have two different systems managing one logical data set.
Besides, some people may not want to run PostgreSQL for some reason or
other.  I'm just looking for a fairly basic database library system that
could be tightly hooked into GRASS for basic attribute management.  I'm
not looking for a multiuser/daemon server kind of thing.  I strongly
believe such an addition would be a great benefit to the functionality
of GRASS.  It also would make it easier to move/share data since all the
attribute data would be located physically with the spatial data.
Hopefully, such a system would be able to make it possible to
transparently "tie" spatial data to external systems through something
like the dbmi interface without the module author having to worry about
handling that scenario.  But GRASS needs at least a rudimentary
attribute database system *natively* to be able to pull that off.

I like PostgreSQL.  I just find a GIS with externally managed attribute
data more cumbersome than one with a native attribute system.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>