[GRASS5] grass font

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jun 15 09:58:56 EDT 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Radim Blazek wrote:

> - Labels (texts in map) must be identical (realy identical - the same font
>    fonts with the same metrics) in:
>    - XDRIVER
>    - CELL, PNG, (and similar) drivers
>    - Postscript files created by ps.map
>    - all new possible clients/viewers: java, windows (not CygWin+Xfree)
> Is it possible to display (effectively) exactly the same fonts on many
> platforms? Probably not. Where could we learn from - Acrobat , Ghostscript?)
>
> - System fonts in some standard format should be used.  Fonts should not be
>    distributed in grass package.
>
> - Vector fonts should be used.

  I will put in a vote for Type1 postscript fonts. I cannot address the
issue of i18n here, but at least in the western hemisphere and western
Europe, it is possible to get the same typefaces/fonts in both Type1 and
TrueType (for the Windows crowd).

  Also, I recommend that when this part of the software is revamped that it
make use of the fonts available on the system rather than being limited to
whatever is built in; for example, in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts. If I'm not
mistaken, this is what most applications do. It would certainly make GRASS a
bit smaller, lighter and easier to maintain.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
                  Making environmentally-resposible mining happen.