[GRASS5] Module differences: r.flow/r.flowmd

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Sun Jun 17 13:59:37 EDT 2001

There are quite a few differences between these two programs - the method
is generaly the same (vector-grid) but the implementation differs as well as
capabilities.
Also the results differ slightly. If there are any volunteers interested in
merging
those two programs both Jaro Hofierka and I will be happy to help.
Essentially r.flow is a complete rewrite of the original GRASS4.2 r.flow while
r.flowmd
is the original GRASS4.2 r.flow with added multiple directions capabilities for
computation
of upslope area, which improves the map of water flow (flowline density) in the
areas
with dispersal flow (such as shoulders). It was the lack of coordination on our
side
that resulted in the two versions. Jaro will be contributing s.flow program to
GRASS5.1
(it generates flowlines from the given site data) and I can talk to him about
the possibilities
to merge the two r.flow programs, but it is not as trivial as it appears to be.

Here are the main differences:

1. r.flow has an option to compute slope and aspect internally thus making the
program
capable to process much larger data sets than r.flowmd. It has also 2 additional
options
for handling of large data sets but I am not sure that they work properly.
2. the programs handle the special cases when the flowline passes exactly (or
very close)
through the grid vertices differently.
3. r.flowmd has the simplified multiple flow addition so the results are
smoother.

In conclusion, r.flowmd produces nicer results but is slower and it does not
support
as large data sets as r.flow.

I use r.flow and r.flowmd very often and I have tested both for Markus just a
few weeks ago
and I did not find any problems. Rich, your suggestion to rerun the analysis
with r.flow was
useful - because r.flow does not require slope and aspect, if the results are OK
the problem
may be in r.slope.aspect. Also, there may be a problem with the import of the
ANUDEM result.

Helena