[GRASS5] why GPL

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Tue Mar 27 00:04:47 EST 2001

Hi Strobe

I'm not going to comment much on the main arguments so far, however, I
feel I need to clarify a point about the protection offered by the LGPL
and the GPL. Note that I'm not a lawyer and the only parts of these
licenses I read were the preambles.

strobe anarkhos wrote:
> >On the other hand, now GRASS is proteced. In the history of GRASS,
> >there were several incidents that made us feel that we need the
> >stronger protection.
>
> Protection isn't the issue, reciprocity is the issue.

<snip>

> The LGPL license offers the same protection as the GPL. FSF changed
> the title from 'Library' to 'Lesser' for political reasons, it has
> nothing to do with the license verbatim.

I'm sorry but your claims that protection is not an issue and that the
LGPL offers the same protection as the GPL do not seem to be true. The
folowing is an excerpt from the preamble contained in the GNU Lesser
General Public License:

"We call this license the "Lesser" General Public License because it
does Less to protect the user's freedom than the ordinary General
Public License."

It appears fairly clear to me that the LGPL does not offer the same
protection as the GPL. Can you explain why you disagree with the
author's of these two licenses? If not, then you will have to address
the concerns that some of the developers have voiced about protection.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center