[GRASS5] Re: installation/compiling instruction for GRASS on cygwin

John Huddleston huddleston at gpsr.colostate.edu
Mon Mar 26 16:23:36 EST 2001

Grass5 list,

I read through the Andreas' pages.  A couple of notes for
discussion before we make some changes:

My distribution has the unixODBC and PostgreSQL configured.  I am in
the process of upgrading to unixODBC 2.0.5 (March 22, 2001) and
PostgreSQL 7.1RC1 (March 24, 2001)   Please let me know if you
have any heartburn about these versions.

Perl is available in the cygwin under contrib.  So, we need to rewrite
the note on perl.

If you get the latest X11R6 distribution it contains everything
ftp://mirrors.rcn.net/pub/sourceware/cygwin/xfree/xc-4-binaries/4.0.3/
including the XWin server.  Please note this new link.  These were
updated March 22, 2001. The StartXWin.bat file needs to be
edited, here is my example with Carriage Returns at the end of
each line:

@echo off
SET DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
SET PATH=c:\usr\X11R6\bin;c:\bin;%PATH%
start XWin -screen 0 1024x768x16 -whitepixel 255 -blackpixel 0
start /B xterm -sl 1000 -sb -rightbar -ms red -fg yellow -bg black -e bash
start /B mwm

The C:\usr\bin in the path will not work.  Under cygwin it is a mount
to the C:\bin.   Make sure you configure your path correctly.  This
Xwin takes over the console.  All NT icons, windows, etc., are not
available unless you 'kill -9' the XWin process and then they come
back.  The xterm puts an XTerm into the XWindow and mwm adds
a window manager.  You could also use twm.    It is as simple as
that and you have a free windows server.     If you type

xwin -probe

it will give you a list of the screen resolutions available to you.

I have used the StarNET X-Win32 for over two years.  I prefer it
because of the speed and because the xterm starts in a window
where the remainder of the NT system is still available.

The links to the tarballs are going to the directory itself.  I assume
Markus made that change.  And a good one, too; because there
is no tarball.  I make a ZIP file.   My distribution does not rely on
the Cygwin system to be installed.   It includes the Xfree and
Cygwin DLLs.  So, we need to discuss if both the ZIP and the
tarball are needed.

I will add more.exe and less.exe to the next distribution.

John Huddleston