[GRASS5] Re: installation/compiling instruction for GRASS on cygwin

John Huddleston jhudd at lamar.colostate.edu
Fri Mar 23 14:02:46 EST 2001

Andreas, (Cc to Grass5 list)

Markus and I received an email from someone who could not make
the Cygwin build of grass5 work.  I asked for their configuration via

cygcheck -s -v -r

It turned out there were two issues.  One is what Andreas writes
about below, the Win95/98 operation.  I moved off the Win98
because the Cygwin people do not support it.  While I prefer
Win2000 over WinNT, they both work well.  So, yes, I support
the Win32 of Grass5 for NT/2000

The other issue is more obscure.   If you take the default location
for the cygwin install of C:\Cygwin then the default mount for root
is that same directory.  All files under "/" are "seen" as under
C:\Cygwin.   You can still access files under C: using //c
However, the /usr/local/grass5 must be installed under the "root"
as known by the system.   In all cases, a "cd /" will work.  Some
users may not put it there though if using WinZIP and not
familiar with the Cygwin operation.  Unmounting and remounting
root is an easy process within Cygwin for users with some
rudimentary Unix knowledge, which does not always come with
Windows experience.

To start Grass, set the PATH and DISPLAY variables, start the
ipc-daemon, and start the xterm.  My lines are:

PATH=/usr/local/grass5/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH
export PATH
DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
export DISPLAY

ps | grep ipc
if [ $? = 1 ] ; then
        /usr/local/bin/ipc-daemon &
fi

xterm -sl 1000 -sb -ms red -fg yellow -bg black -font 10x20 -e bash &

Next run grass from within the xterm window.

As to the B20 version...those were built for Win95/98.  Initial builds of
Grass5 under Cygwin were done using this system.  I agree with
removing the binaries because we do not support it.

John Huddleston