[GRASS5] Angle of Line Function?

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at SierraMaps.com
Sat Mar 10 15:00:41 EST 2001

Greetings,

I would greatly appreciate any help with developing a simple function
that returns the angle (in degrees) of a line when given two points
(x1, y1 and x2, y2).

Embarrassingly I have spent days trying to figure this out (that's
what I get for using the teachers edition of geometry in high
school!!).  ;->

I have ran across a function on the web, but somehow it seems really off:
     angle = (((Atan((northingDifference/eastingDifference)))*180)/PI)

The points that I am using are UTM coordinates.

I realize that this may seem slightly of topic, however I will
contribute the developed module when I am done.  I figure that this
function should be a piece of cake for all of you brilliant people
out there.

An example set of coordinates are:

  x1  = 265,000
  y1  = 4,155,000