[GRASS5] GRASS very slow with raster maps > 8000 colors

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Mar 8 15:25:51 EST 2001

Hi again,

some of you already know: GRASS is very slow displaying raster
maps > 8000 colors. Just curious (as I don't know too much about this
problem): is there are chance to speed up GRASS' color system?
I don't understand the reason for this slowness.

To give you an idea: a 250x250 pixel color infrared image takes
4sec to display (3.5sec black screen, then rather fast display)
on a 1Ghz Athlon. How do "xv", "gimp" etc. manage this color
troubles? 250x250 pixel are not really much.

Regards

 Markus