[GRASS5] XEXTRALIBS and -lsocket

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Wed Mar 7 07:59:07 EST 2001

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 05:52:50PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> Hi Markus
>
> Sorry for acting like a stick in the mud concerning the -lsocket thing.
no problem!

> It's just that these types of "quick fixes" exist throughout the grass
> code and they only lead to frustration for me when I try to figure out
> what is going on. I completely understand why these are done (they
> usually save a ton of time) but I automatically suggest other solutions
> when I see one being proposed. In this case, the new Makefile system is
> the best place to fix it.
Still I agree, to add inconsistencies is not a good idea. Maybe we can
make this exception as all the Makefile stuff is subject to change
soon.

BTW: GRASS/CVS now compiles on SUN/Solaris *without* any compile error :-)

> Markus Neteler wrote:
> > BTW: Shall we tag the release branch (or whatever it is calles now)
> > today from src/CMD/lists/GRASS ? Weather is nice, so we could start
> > to release the GRASS stable...
>
> The only issue left is cleaning out the fifo and ipc code.

Up to now we have no real reason to keep fifo and/or ipc code.
Bernhard didn't denote yet a platform which doesn't support sockets.

As CVS will keep the fifo/ipc code for us, I propose to remove both from
GRASS.

> However, this
> can wait until after the release (BTW, I recommend we either clean it
> before the release or clean the MAIN branch after the release branch is
> created - safest way I think). The only problem I can remember that was
> not solved for the socket code was changing the binaryInstall.src code
> (and a bug report on RT from yesterday). This can be handled by everyone
> agreeing that nobody will make a binary installation based on fifos or
> ipc. Then we just comment out the few lines in the binaryInstall script
> that create the fifos. If necessary, if a system cannot compile the
> socket version, then whoever creates the binaries can uncomment the fifo
> code in their local version of binaryInstall.
Sounds good to me!

> So, I see no problem with creating a release branch.
Fine. Anyone else?

 Markus