[GRASS5] XEXTRALIBS and -lsocket

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Wed Mar 7 05:52:50 EST 2001

Hi Markus

Sorry for acting like a stick in the mud concerning the -lsocket thing.
It's just that these types of "quick fixes" exist throughout the grass
code and they only lead to frustration for me when I try to figure out
what is going on. I completely understand why these are done (they
usually save a ton of time) but I automatically suggest other solutions
when I see one being proposed. In this case, the new Makefile system is
the best place to fix it.

Markus Neteler wrote:
> BTW: Shall we tag the release branch (or whatever it is calles now)
> today from src/CMD/lists/GRASS ? Weather is nice, so we could start
> to release the GRASS stable...

The only issue left is cleaning out the fifo and ipc code. However, this
can wait until after the release (BTW, I recommend we either clean it
before the release or clean the MAIN branch after the release branch is
created - safest way I think). The only problem I can remember that was
not solved for the socket code was changing the binaryInstall.src code
(and a bug report on RT from yesterday). This can be handled by everyone
agreeing that nobody will make a binary installation based on fifos or
ipc. Then we just comment out the few lines in the binaryInstall script
that create the fifos. If necessary, if a system cannot compile the
socket version, then whoever creates the binaries can uncomment the fifo
code in their local version of binaryInstall.

So, I see no problem with creating a release branch.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center