[GRASS5] XEXTRALIBS and -lsocket

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Wed Mar 7 05:13:25 EST 2001

Hi Markus

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Macro: AC_PATH_XTRA
>
>     An enhanced version of AC_PATH_X. It adds the C compiler flags
>     that X needs to output variable X_CFLAGS, and the X linker
>     flags to X_LIBS. If X is not available, adds'-DX_DISPLAY_MISSING'
>     to X_CFLAGS.
>
>     This macro also checks for special libraries that some systems
>     need in order to compile X programs. It adds any that the system
>     needs to output variable X_EXTRA_LIBS. And it checks for special
>     X11R6 libraries that need to be linked with before
>     '-lX11', and adds any found to the output variable X_PRE_LIBS.
>
> It seems to be related to X_EXTRA_LIBS or not?

Hmmm. This is interesting. This means that on Solaris, X_EXTRA_LIBS has
always been defined as -lsocket -lnsl. Now, the d.* commands are not
linking with the new socket code, which means that they require a
-lsocket to link. The question is do we use the X_EXTRA_LIBS variable to
add this to the d.* commands? I would say no since the d.* commands
didn't need the X_EXTRA_LIBS before the socket code. Thus, I still
recommend that we create a new make variable for -lsocket. Anyway,
that's just my opinion.

However, I just saw you added it to XDRLIB.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center