[GRASS5] sockets -> default!

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Tue Mar 6 05:23:05 EST 2001

Hi Bernhard

Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> >  - keep fifo (maybe, but I cannot see much reasons)
>
> Because this is the old method which is known to work on obscure
> platforms we cannot test right now.

I don't know. It just seems to me that since we have positive results
from Cygwin, Mac, Linux, Solaris, IRIX, CRAY, FreeBsd, (others??) it
indicates that our socket code is fairly portable. I also find it hard
to believe that there is a UNIX system around that does not support the
sockets standard. They have been around for more than a decade. Do you
have any particular platform in mind? I'd just like to have clean code
rather than keeping something that may not be used or that is not
necessary.

Anyway, I guess it's up to Markus.

--
Sincerely,