[GRASS5] grass cvs snapshot from 26. Feb.

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Tue Mar 6 03:25:24 EST 2001

Hi Andreas

Andreas Lange wrote:
> before making sockets default, could someone help me to get the
> sockets setup to compile on IRIX with gcc?
>
> Adding -lsocket to XEXTRALIBS does not help to compile all modules,
> as the d.* modules do not link the Xlibs. I can compile the XDRIVER24
> now, but many other modules still do not compile.

Strange. I don't need -lsocket at all for IRIX with MIPSPro compilers. I
didn't think different compilers would link differently. I thought
linking was more system dependent than compiler dependent. In fact, even
with gcc, don't you need the SGI C libraies installed?

> Adding -lsocket to all modules does not help too, there seems to be
> some problem with the library order on the linker command line?

Where did you add it? I would try adding it to the MATHLIB definition in
src/CMD/head/head.in. Of course, the "correct" way to do it is to add it
to each module that needs it. I suppose configure.in should set a make
variable and this variable be added to the compile lines of modules that
need socket code. A bit tedious but not that daunting a task. I'd do it
myself, but I don't have time this week.

> How was the problem solved with Solaris?
> Please do not assume that everything is ok if you recieve no feedback
> within a day ;-).

But we had positive feedback for IRIX from me. We just didn't think a
different compiler would cause a problem. :-(

Taken from your earlier post
> ./configure --bindir=/usr/people/andreas/bin \
> --with-socket \
> --enable-postgres=no \
> --with-jpeg-includes=/usr/freeware/include \
> --with-jpeg-libs=/usr/freeware/lib32 \
> --with-tiff-includes=/usr/freeware/include \
> --with-tiff-libs=/usr/freeware/lib32 \
> --with-tcltk-includes=/usr/freeware/include \
> --with-tcltk-libs=/usr/freeware/lib32 \
> --with-opengl-includes=/usr/include/GL \
> --with-opengl-libs=/usr/lib32

Did you try running configure without specifying the freeware
directories? I changed configure.in to add the freeware directories if
the machine is an SGI. Simply running configure without options now
works for me.

> Problem starting grass5:
> "Sorry, I need to know a more specific terminal type than ""."
> grass5 -tcltk works!
> grass5 -text does not work.
> export TERMINAL=ansi does not help.

Shouldn't that be TERM=ansi? At least that is the environment variable I
have on my machine.

I hope some of this helps.

--
Sincerely,