[GRASS5] grass cvs snapshot from 26. Feb.

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Mar 5 04:51:49 EST 2001

Helena,

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 03:42:33PM -0600, Helena wrote:
> The grad student here has installed the cvs snapshot from Feb 26
> on LINUX with Redhat 7 with no problems except for setting-up the
> correct links to Mesa for his graphics card  to get nviz2.2 running
> (if there is an interest, I can ask him to write to the list what he had to do,
> it was related to the graphics card, not GRASS.)
> We had previously  problems with fifos, no problems now.
>
> I tried most of the d.* commands and in general they work well, except for:
[...]
> ---------------
> 2. monitor does not close on mouse click: this is not a problem, I just thought
> that I have seen in this list that it does. but I was running it through the net
> on Sun,  so that may be the problem.
>From above it seems you compiled using the fifos. The monitor close on mouse
click is only supported with sockets:

 configure --with-socket
 make
 make install

> ---------------
> 3. d.text : Please enter text instructions.  Enter EOF on last line to quit -
> does anybody know what the EOF means here? (I hope that this is not too stupid
> question)
Try
Ctrl-D

(this is not very user convenient, should be changed!)

> -----------------------
> 5. not included:
> xganim (I miss this one!!!!) - should I get lesstif and compile separately?
Yes...

> d.param.scale (would be really useful!), but I have never seen it included
> in a release
Reason is that r/d.param.scale are using functions from "Numerical receipes
in C" which are copyright protected. If anyone would modify the routines to
use the "new" GRASS -gmath library (src/libes/gmath) which are based on
LAPACK/BLAS, we could put the code back fro distribution.

Both modules are in
 src.nonGPL/raster/...
 src.nonGPL/display/...

> thanks for all the great work - the installation is now fast and simple
> compared with what one had to go through in previous releases and there is
> so much great new stuff!
Congrats to all! :-)

> Helena
>
> P.S. nviz works fine (no masked out areas, only lights are still a little
> bit weird, not a big problem though)
Huh, happy to hear that! Kudos to Bob!

Markus