[GRASS5] sockets -> default!

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Mon Mar 5 02:36:20 EST 2001

Hi Markus

Markus Neteler wrote:
> are there any objections to make "--with-socket" the
> default driver in configure?

Well, seeing as most of the problems with process communication we are
currently experiencing (eg broken Makefile) is from trying to support 3
types of communication, I would suggest that we pick a single
implementation and strip out the others from the code. The question is
which implementation do we keep? The fifos don't work on all platforms
and the ipc code can leave message-queues allocated (if d.mon stop=x?
isn't used) that can only be freed with a system reboot. As far as I can
tell, Eric has fixed most of the problems (if not all) that were
reported for the sockets implementation, so unless there is still an
outstanding problem with them, it looks like sockets is an all win
implementation.

Does anyone have a reason for keeping more than one implementation?

Just my 2 cents worth.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th