[GRASS5] GRASS stable/exp branches

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Fri Mar 2 04:28:54 EST 2001

Hi Radim

Radim Blazek wrote:
> I am probably missing something but if we say that only bugfixes will
> go into grass5.0.x and grass51 is already established in NEW
> repository (RESTRUCTURED:
> http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass51/  ),
> I don't see why we need branches (at this moment and in at least next
> year)

Well, if you check this part of the tree, it is almost empty with only a
few modules there (the new vector format I think). Until we actually
create the new directory structure, and move the modules to their new
locations, then the 5.1 tree is unusable for development on current
modules. However, brand new modules can be added there (although with
great care, since the new structure is not finalized).

So, while most of us are working on bug fixes (hopefully) for the stable
branch. Updates can still be made to the existing modules through the
main branch. If we don't branch, then something like what happened for
beta 11 (code was committed during pre-testing) can occur. The branch is
just an extra precaution to try and prevent this type of error.

Hope this helps.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th