[GRASS5] v.in,dxf

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri May 18 12:44:36 EDT 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Roger S. Miller wrote:

> Rich, have you been working on the code?

Roger,

  No. I was trying to get some data from MapInfo into GRASS. I tried .dxf,
.mif, .shp and .e00. Finally figured out that it was a corrupted GRASS
installation causing the problems.

> The version that was packed with beta11 doesn't handle splines and that's
> really the only major problem I had when I tried to import a DXF from
> ACAD/2k.

  Ah, yes! The ACAD from Hell. I had to migrate a GIS data base from MapInfo
to ACAD/2k. Well, with the help of local folks who have ACAD rel. 12 or 13
in their shops, I was able to provide both .dxf and .dwg files to my client.
(They gave me the MI files from another of their consultants.) While the
objects were visible, no lables could be found. We finally figured it was a
problem with ACAD/2k and let it go at that.

> I'm willing to give my spline routine to someone who might incorporate it
> into v.in.dxf.  My program works, but it isn't full featured and it is
> just a simple cubic b-spline, so might not even be the right kind of
> spline. The DXF files contain several codes that I don't interpret to
> produce the lines.

  I would like to nominate David Gray as team leader/coordinator for the
data import efforts. He's done outstanding work on v.in.mif and v.in.shape
and is far ahead of me in comprehending computational geometry. Not that
David has to do all the work, but he'd be the ideal coordinator, IMO.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com