[GRASS5] GRASS5.0.0pre1 on cygwin/Windows 2000

Mike Thomas mthomas at gil.com.au
Fri May 25 10:27:55 EDT 2001

Hi all.

> > i just updated my cygwin installation. There is a new cygwin dll that
> > solves some of the problems that i found using the grass modules
> > recently.

Having seen you guys meet this problem, I have not upgraded.

> > But recompiling the latest pre release code did not fix the X related
> > problem.
> >
> > The X Driver/Monitor starts, a black, empty window displays, but the
> > display modules (d.mon, d.rast etc.) can not connect to the grass
> > monitor. The monitor can not be closed with the mouse nor with d.mon
> > stop..., it even is not killed if the StarNet X Window system is shut
> > down. Only a direct kill with the Task Manager removes the process of
> > the XDRIVER. Then a stackdump is left behind.

> I don't have any ideas, but I get different behavior (using XFree86)
> under CygWin.  I just set it up a couple days ago and built GRASS, but
> the monitor exits immediately after showing itself (some Cygwin bug with
> select() ???).

Today I built the prerelease under NT both as-is and also with the Win98
mods from Malcolm.

Under Nutcracker/DEC X-Server, using Cygwin 1.1.8, I have no troubles with
the standard build.

With the W98 modified version I get exactly the behaviour just described by
Eric - the monitor shows and immediately exits.

Regarding my earlier posts about read() and Cygwin binary mounted drives, I
realised that if open() is called with O_BINARY as the second argument, it
should fix the problem.  I'll try it out this weekend if I can get near my
computer.

I am trying to get the font building program "splitfonts" to work under
Windows too.  The popen call seems to cause problems.

Cheers

Mike Thomas