[GRASS5] Silly Gdal Lib Error [off]

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sun May 27 13:58:52 EDT 2001

Jeshua Lacock wrote:

> I am the closest I have ever been to compiling the GDAL lib, for Grass
> support, and I get the error below:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: table of contents for archive: /usr/src/gdal-1.1.4/gdal.a
> is out of date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
> /usr/bin/ld: table of contents for archive: /usr/src/gdal-1.1.4/gdal.a
> is out of date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
> make[1]: *** [gdalinfo] Error 1
> make: *** [apps-target] Error 2
>

> So I ran and ran and re-ran ranlib only to get the error below:
>
> ranlib /usr/src/gdal-1.1.4/gdal.a
> ranlib: file: /usr/src/gdal-1.1.4/gdal.a(pnggccrd.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: /usr/src/gdal-1.1.4/gdal.a(pngvcrd.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: /usr/src/gdal-1.1.4/gdal.a(tif_pixarlog.o) has no symbols

For each of the three corresponding source files, the entire file is
enclosed in a #if[def]/#endif. The result will be an object file with
no symbols. It would appear that your version of ranlib doesn't like
this (i.e. it fails to update the index, rather than just ignoring the
files).

Try manually removing the above files from the archive, with

	ar d gdal.a pnggccrd.o pngvcrd.o tif_pixarlog.o

Then re-run ranlib.