[GRASS5] GRASS Asian/Indian character support

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Wed May 30 13:59:17 EDT 2001

Dear Somesh Agarwal,

(cc to grass5)

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 01:08:35AM +0530, Somesh Agarwal wrote:
> sir ,
>     I am a computer science under-graduate working on global information
> systems for my project. I am working at Indian Institute of
> Sciences , Bangalore , India where you visited  two years back. I
> contacted Mr Shashi Kumar in civil department who is helping who gave me
>  your reference to me . I am using grass for my project  and  request
> your support and guidance for some work I want to do.
> The fonts that are presently supported by grass are english based , but
> I have to represent the labels on the screen in some local
> language font (kannada , hindi) . I want to extent grass to support
> unicode fonts (layer1 and layer2) . Can you tell me if there is some
> documentation (apart from what is there in the source code) or any
> person in your knowledge who is working on the same thing .
> I am very enthusiastic about GRASS and this work , kindly help.
> thanks
> somesh agarwal

at time some developers are adressing the 8bit characters problem in
GRASS. Actually support shall be there in the latest release GRASS
5.0.0pre1, however this is undocumented yet. I am sending this mail
to the "grass5" developers list as well, where those people working
on Asian character support are reading, too.

As soon as I know more details, I will let you know. We are highly
interested to have a convenient font support in GRASS.

Kind regards

 Markus Neteler

PS: Kind regards to Mr Shashi Kumar!

--
Markus Neteler *  University of Hannover
Institute of Physical Geography and Landscape Ecology