[GRASS5] Re: [GRASS_DE] r.mapcalc round()

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed May 16 08:32:48 EDT 2001

> O.k. I think I understand the problem now. But how to deal with it?
> r.mapcalc seems to generate FCELL only. Shouldn't the range printed with
> float precision then? Sorry for insisting here, but above range will
> be expected to be wrong by the average user not familiar with precision
> issues.

Yes, as I have written in the previous message, you can print it with fewer digits -
r.describe does that (see example below). I think that the printing with larger number
of digits was put there because user defined precision was considered (in some
modules you can choose  between FCELL and DCELL).  there are other modules which
print unreasonably large number of digits (e.g. r.colors with rules options). It may be
also a left-over from the debugging when the FP support was developed and the need
for double precision versus single prec. was discussed

Helena

GRASS:~/lresults/lhood/lhouse > r.mapcalc

mapcalc> test=1.1
test - already exists. ok to overwrite? (y/n) y

EXECUTING test = ...  100%
CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR test
range: 1.1000000238 1.1000000238

mapcalc> exit
GRASS:~/lresults/lhood/lhouse > r.describe test
READING [test in helahood] ... 100%
1.100000-1.100000
GRASS:~/lresults/lhood/lhouse >