[GRASS5] Multiple attribute support in GRASS5.1:someconsiderations (long)

Roger S. Miller rgrmill at Rt66.com
Tue May 15 02:01:49 EDT 2001

Radim Blazek wrote:

> I think that symbology of geographic data is usualy based on attributes
> and dynamicaly created. Assigning color, style, width to graphic elements is
> good for CAD systems not for GIS. We work on data not on pictures.

My clients pay for a product.  That is pretty true for anyone working in
the private sector.  Analysis is necessary, but if I can't turn out a
product then I don't have a job.  What's more, if I have to use some
other tool to produce the final product, then I may as well use some
other tool to perform the analysis.

I've been studying GIS for about 15 years.  Aside from a few publicly
supported projects like GRASS, every GIS I know of places considerable
emphasis on presentation.

Roger Miller
Lee Wilson and Associates