[GRASS5] Multiple attribute support in GRASS5.1:someconsiderations (long)

Roger S. Miller rgrmill at Rt66.com
Mon May 14 10:18:23 EDT 2001

"Eric G. Miller" wrote:

> I think we all can agree GRASS has a ways to go on both attribute data
> support *and* presentation.  Now, if for a vector "map", if each
> layer/component (SITE, LABEL, LINE, AREA) has a separate attribute table
> then wouldn't it be a simple matter to *allow* the user to define one
> column of the table to indicate a "style" for the given thing.

If I understand your suggestion, then what this would do is place
database support for drawing attributes in some tagged-on external
database (which is pretty much the way it works now) rather than in the
database inherent in the GIS.  It provides yet another unintegrated
capability for which a user will need separate training and for which
the developers would have to provide separate support.  It's exactly
what I would like to avoid.

I know relatively little about database construction, so I can get over
my head very quickly here.  What I envisioned is that the drawing
attribute support would be invisible to the user, included in the same
database structure that organizes and provides data on other
attributes.  We don't currently have anything that uses that capability,
so the structure wouldn't actually need to be filled.  It just needs to
be there for later use.  If it's planned for, then it should be a
relatively simple procedure to fill it with reasonable defaults.  The
software to manipulate and use those attributes can come later.

If it isn't planned in, then it will be relatively difficult to add it
later.

Roger Miller