[GRASS5] GRASS packaging issues

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Wed May 9 03:58:59 EDT 2001

Hi Jan

Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> during preparation of a GRASS rpm package, two issues
> occured:
>
> - is there a reason why manual confirmation is requested
>         when building as root? It is not unusual to be root
>         when creating a rpm package.

The reason confirmation is requested is due to UNIX system
administration practices. In general, you should never do anything as
root that you do not have to. The potential for damaging your system
unintentionally is not worth it.

Even though compiling is generally safer than installation, it is still
good practice not to compile as root. So, I put the confirmation step in
to warn people not familiar with this practice and/or UNIX that what
they are doing could be dangerous.

Do you actually need root access to create an rpm? I never created one
so I don't know. If not, then I would suggest not creating it as root.
But if you need root access then you can bypass the confirmation by
typing

make real-binaries

However, this bypass may not work with the new Makefile system, since I
think we could get rid of the real* targets using GNU Make. So, if
people want the confirmation removed, then I will remove it.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center