[GRASS5] XDRIVER colour changes

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Wed May 2 08:54:07 EDT 2001

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 09:24:18AM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> I've just committed a bunch of non-trivial changes to XDRIVER's colour
> handling. If they cause anyone problems, the previous version can be
> retrieved using the "color_changes_20010502" tag.
>
> The changes should result in better output in "fixed" colour mode on
> all visual types. I've tested it on XFree86, on 8/15/16/24-bit
> TrueColor and DirectColor visuals, and on 4/8-bit StaticGray,
> GrayScale, StaticColor and PseudoColor visuals (needless to say, 4-bit
> visuals don't produce particularly nice output).
>
> If anyone has a system with other visual types, feedback would be
> appreciated.
>
> Also, I had to force the use of a private Colormap for DirectColor
> visuals, mainly due to being unable to figure out how to do any colour
> handling other beyond filling an empty Colormap with writable colour
> cells.
>
> If anyone knows of some worthwhile[1] documentation on the details of
> X Colormap handling (and DirectColor visuals in particular), I'd
> appreciate the information.
>
> [1] as opposed to the X manpages and the Xlib documention in
> xc/doc/hardcopy/X11.

Glynn,

the solaris compile is done. At least working remote on solaris
fails:

d.mon x0
ncolors: 65536

(sometimes I get:
Can't bind to socket for monitor <x0>. Already in use?
Socket is already in use or not accepting connections.
Use d.mon to select a monitor
Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
Socket is already in use or not accepting connections.
Use d.mon to select a monitor
)

Then the window opens, but I still see my Linux KDE background.
Wiping with another window or iconizing/resizing makes it black.

d.rast nations

Monitor remains as it is, wiping with another window or iconizing/resizing
makes the map visible. It seems to be a backing store problem.
Note: I didn't change anything on Linux, it must have to do with working
on the SUN remotely.

Sorry for no better news, please tell me how to help debugging...

Regards

 Markus