[GRASS5] [bug #257] (grass) v.cutter: size of the region seems to influence v.cutter

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Wed May 2 07:56:19 EDT 2001

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=257

Subject: v.cutter: size of the region seems to influence v.cutter

v.cutter: size of the region seems to influence v.cutter

Case history:
  For reducing the volume a rather large vectormap (16.000 polygons) I wrote a
  grass5-script which
    1. automatically generates a rectangle around the current region (works at
       least with tmerc,lat/long,lambert-projection)
    2. cuts the original map with v.cutter
    3. runs v.spag -i and v.support
  This works fine, but only sometimes. I cut country outlines, DEM-contours
  (created with r.contour) and a map with soil properties and I noticed that
  the size of the region seems to influence v.cutter. If, for example, i cut
  parts of the coastline of norway, v.cutter works for a region with a maximum
  of 6 geographic degrees, a wider region produces an empty vector file. The
  DEM-contour-map, which seems to contain much more data, can be cut using a
  region of any size.
  Thus it appears that certain combinations of datafile and cutterfile cause
  v.cutter to generate no vectors at all. I don't see any rule as to when it
  works an when it doesn't so I think that this might be some bug in
  v.cutter.
 (reported by Stefan.Neumann at agrar.uni-giessen.de)