[GRASS5] [bug #820] (grass) Idea: links for g.remove, g.list,, g.rename maybe others

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Thu Nov 1 02:44:48 EST 2001

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=820

Subject: Idea: links for g.remove, g.list,, g.rename maybe others

Platform: Linux/Intel
Linux distro: RedHat
linux cpu: AMD (K6, ...)
Xwindows version: Xfree 3.3.6
Xwindows manager: KDE 2.x
TclTk version: tcl/tk 8.2
grass downloaded at: Hannover site
grass binary for platform: I compiled the sources myself
grass sources source: no, I got a source code package from the server, pre-2
c compiler name: gcc

Regarding the commands for general cover management i.e g.copy, g.rename, g.remove, g.list (maybe also others) could it be possible (at least in unix..) to make links to the same command for each data type?
In stead of writing g.list rast, I could write r.list and have a list of raster files, in stead of writing g.copy vect=vector1,vector2, I could write v.copy vector1 vector2 etc. For systems that do not support multiple links to a file, different versions of the commands could of cource be used.

Related to this:
g.remove behaves almost as I would like to... if no data type specifier is given, it defaults to rast. IMHO that is quite dangerous. If I want to remove the vector cover my_dear_map and manages to writes g.remove my_dear_map (because that is more similiar to a typical unix shell command), it removes quite happily the raster file my_dear_map....