[GRASS5] [bug #812] (grass) [cygwin] r.out.tiff dumps core

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Nov 9 11:54:22 EST 2001

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > To the list: can we remove the "-s" flag from the default LDFLAGS
> > setting? I can understand wanting to reduce the size of binary
> > distributions, but developers shouldn't (IMHO) be running stripped
> > binaries.
> >
> > You should be able to force the use of "-s" with e.g.
> >
> > 	LDFLAGS=-s ./configure ...
> >
> > But disabling it is more awkward (modify src/CMD/head.<platform> after
> > running configure).
>
> ... well, why not. But what about the "-g" flag? It also
> increases the size of the binaries. The treatment of "-s" and
> "-g" should be synchronized somehow. Recently I saw a
> configure having a test for that (unfortunately I can't
> remember the program).

Some quick tests with Linux/gcc suggest that using "-s" (or
subsequently using "strip") removes everything which "-g" adds.

Also, note that use of "-g" is automated by autoconf's AC_PROG_CC
macro:

 - Macro: AC_PROG_CC
     Determine a C compiler to use.  If `CC' is not already set in the
     environment, check for `gcc', and use `cc' if that's not found.
     Set output variable `CC' to the name of the compiler found.

     If using the GNU C compiler, set shell variable `GCC' to `yes',
     empty otherwise.  If output variable `CFLAGS' was not already set,
     set it to `-g -O2' for the GNU C compiler (`-O2' on systems where
     GCC does not accept `-g'), or `-g' for other compilers.

Probably the simplest approach to stripping is to have a "make strip"
target which runs "strip" on everything in $GISBASE/etc/bin/{cmd,inter}.

BTW, there are a few files which should probably be moved to
$GISBASE/scripts:

	etc/bin/cmd/r.combine
	etc/bin/inter/r.weight
	etc/bin/inter/v.sdts.meta