[GRASS5] A comment and a question.

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Oct 25 03:16:45 EDT 2001

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 09:07:54PM -0700, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 20:53:30 -0600, "Roger S. Miller" <rgrmill at rt66.com> wrote:
>

> > Folks,
> >
> > It took a few days, but Hal Mueller convinced me that it probably is a
> > good idea for a "production" installation of GRASS 5.0 for the installed
> > files to be owned by root.  That wasn't necessarily true for the beta
> > and pre-release versions, and we're certainly not talking about the
> > GRASSS database.  For a stable system the installation scripts should
> > probably have an option to make root the owner of the installed files,
> > as are (for instance) the program files in a Postgres installation.
> > Last week Hal provided the list with some specific suggestions about how
> > that might be done.
>
> If someone wants to look at using "install" rather than tar, it will
> do the right thing (and probably be faster than tar anyway).  The
> "install" program can also strip symbols, which could be useful
> since initial binaries could have debugging symbols, and "install"
> would remove them.  Then a recompile wouldn't be necessary to grab
> a debuggable version of a module.

Perhaps we should start to think about library re-organization now,
to address (for 5.1)
 - cleanup of mixed libraries
 - extract the IO routines to support libgrassio (Frank Warmerdam)
 - support shared libraries
 - add the new makefile system (package is in grass51/ in CVS)

and keeping 5.0 as is for this issue.

> > As to the question...  I seem to recall that my first GRASS 5
> > installation included an s.surf.krige program, but it isn't there in
> > either of my current installations.  Is my memory completely messed up,
> > or was it removed?  I searched the archives and found a couple letters
> > that mentioned kriging, but no explanation for what happened to the old
> > program.  What happened to the old one, and are there any plans to
> > replace it?
>
> It was/is s.surf.krig.  Bugs ... from old copy of grass CVS:
>
> [RC]s.surf.krig
>   Not working. Needs various bugfixes.
>   Calls to G_distance() seem to suffer stack corruption. The values
>   of parameters passed in and out of G_distance() are corrupted.
>   (being worked on by David D Gray)

Since David can't support GRASS these days due to other business,
the GSTAT or R are candidates for kriging. Both support GRASS
directly.

Best regards

 Markus