[GRASS5] CVS tag documentation (was: difficulties with r.proj)

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Oct 29 11:53:42 EST 2001

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 11:01:27AM -0500, Carl Worth wrote:
> Eric G. Miller writes:
>  > You want to be using the tagged branch "releasebranch_11_april_2001_5_0_0"
>
> Ah, thank you! That should change things considerably.
>
>  > Perhaps you've been using the main branch, which is way behind the
>  > tagged branch above.  Changing that should make a significant
>  > difference in all kinds of programs.  Perhaps that needs to be
>  > publicized on the web pages better?
>
> Yes, I was on the main branch. What is it good for by the way?
>
> The web pages do have some attempts to guide me the right
> direction. For example, grasscvs.html says:
>
> 	Be sure to get the latest code: List of GRASS CVS branches
>
> With a link to grasscvstags.html. That page does have a boxed and
> highlighted message around the correct branch name, but somehow I was
> still misled by the text "To check out the latest code within the
> release branch".
>
> I guess the qualifier, "within the release branch" made me think I
> might not be getting the latest-and-greatest, so I tried the head of
> the tree instead.
>
> Maybe some text at the top of grasscvstags.html page describing how
> the GRASS project uses tags would be helpful, (many different projects
> use cvs tags in remarkably different ways).

Hi Carl,

I would be glad if you send the grasscvstags.html page improved/updated
to me (either html or plain text pieces). I know that it is still
confusing (and I know that I prefer not to have branches in grass51/),
but I need assistance to get grasscvstags.html really useful.

If you don't mind, send some modifications,

thanks

 Markus