[GRASS5] TODOs for 5.0.0

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Sep 5 23:40:07 EDT 2001

Andreas Lange wrote:

> > I don't know if the NFS problem is solved. We are using NFS here, so far
> > no problems. However, maybe our installation differs from the Trieste's one.
>
> What was the NFS Problem? It works here with Linux and IRIX as NFS
> Server and client. Its hard to say something if i do not know the OS and
> the exact problem.

The problem (bug #269) is that $GISBASE/locks needs to be writable,
which means that $GISBASE can't reside on a read-only export.

It isn't likely to be a widespread problem. I would assume that it can
be worked around by making $GISBASE/locks a symlink to a directory on
a writable export.

The locking mechanism just won't work without a shared writable
directory. Changing the locking mechanism probably isn't practical if
you want to release soon.