[GRASS5] [bug #801] (grass) compilation errors in grass5.0.0pre2

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 17 11:17:07 EDT 2001

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Any particular reason why just these two? It won't stop if curses or
> the math library aren't found, and either of those will cause a lot
> more programs to be omitted than FFTW and PostgreSQL combined.
>
> Right now, the following are all warnings:

  <snip>

> while these are errors:

> I'm open to suggestions as to which should be warnings and which
> should be errors.
>
> I'm fairly certain that curses and the math library should be
> mandatory, but I'm not so sure about the rest.

  My suggestion is that they should all be errors during configuration. That
way the user knows what GRASS cannot find and can make a decision, a priori,
what he needs. If each of the components can be explicitly left out of the
build process by running ./configure with a series of '--without-xxxx'.

  This allows flexibility and full notification to the user and it means
that we are not making judgement calls regarding which features are
important and which are not needed.

  I agree that certain libraries, such as ncurses and math, MUST be present
or the application will not run.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
                 Making environmentally-responsible mining happen.