GRASS Release management (was: [GRASS5] The status of 5.0)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Apr 2 06:01:25 EST 2002

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 06:29:37PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 12:20:50PM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 12:02:40PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > > On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 11:29:08AM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > That is exactly the plan.
> > Schedule something like:
> >
> > GRASS 5.0.0 developmemt time:		now
> >
> > 	All developers have time to fix and bring in (moderate) additions
> > 	for the grass5.0.0 release now.
> >
> > Code Freeze and Branching for Release:		about 22th of April
> > 	We will create a release branch.
> > 	We will release grass5.0.0pre4 shortly after alpha tests.
> > 	This will be beta tested.
> > 	Only release critical bugs will be fixed on that release branch.
> >
> > Release:						about 22th of Mai
> >
> > 	After another month we will release grass5.0.0 from the branch,
> > 	or release pre5 or merge back without release as a last resort.
> >
> > We can't get faster than this with a project as huge as GRASS.
> > This is the tightest reasonable schedule I can imagine.

> As you proposed the plan - what about electing you as the release
> manager for the upcoming pre4 release? We may rotate this job,
> this is also found in other Free Software projects.

The most important job as a release manager is to judge
if certain components are ready.
As I cannot conduct many tests myself I'm not a good choice.

I offer to be the release assisstant for 5.0.0 for you, though.
This means we will get a 5.0.0 release, but if developers and
testers do not take me serious enough it will be pretty ugly.
Nevertheless we need this release.

--
Professional Service for Free Software                 (intevation.net)
The FreeGIS Project                                       (freegis.org)