[GRASS5] raster file history question

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Apr 4 12:54:09 EST 2002

Helena Mitasova wrote:
> In the US many government agencies must include a standard and very detailed
> metadata file with the data that they distribute. It would be extremely useful
> if this file was imported
> along with the data and either stored in the description part of history file
> (r.info might need modification then)
> or as a separate file, along with history file. As far as I know there is free
> code supporting
> the management of this file, in case that something more than just copying the
> file to the GRASS
> database would be considered.
>
> Frank do you use or consider this file in GDAL?

Helena,

I have a mechanism in GDAL for transporting "metadata", but it isn't
specifically targetted to FDGC or any other standard format.  It is mostly
used for adhoc name/value pairs of extra information about a dataset.

Note that even this limited form of metadata is not currently imported by
r.in.gdal.  If GRASS had a standard location and API for accessing generic
metadata documents I would be interested in populating it from GDAL metadata
where available.

Best regards,