[GRASS5] raster file history question

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Apr 5 07:27:12 EST 2002

"Eric G. Miller" wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 01:52:57PM -0500, Helena Mitasova wrote:
> > In the US many government agencies must include a standard and very detailed
> > metadata file with the data that they distribute. It would be extremely useful
> > if this file was imported
> > along with the data and either stored in the description part of history file
> > (r.info might need modification then)
> > or as a separate file, along with history file. As far as I know there is free
> > code supporting
> > the management of this file, in case that something more than just copying the
> > file to the GRASS
> > database would be considered.
>
> USGS has a free set of FGDC metadata tools.  Most of the validation and
> output tools are command line, but there's an editor either using Tk or
> Athena widgets.
>
> GRASS could help by generating some required "fields", but the majority
> of it is really the user's responsibility to maintain.
>
> There is some broken handling for doing FGDC metadata in GRASS, but I
> think it'd be more appropriate just to generate a stub of those things
> GRASS can fill in, and leave it to the user to figure out the rest.
>
> What Markus has been talking about, would maybe be appropriate for the
> Processing Steps section, but would still probably be too obtuse without
> explication by the metadata author.
>
> A generic log history is maybe more appropriate?

A think that what Markus had in mind is more related to generic log history.

I was talking about something different and relatively simple - all I had in mind
refered to import of files and simply copying the metadata text file (if there is
any)
to an appropriate place in the GRASS data base, e.g. "attaching" it to
history file as a description section or keeping it separate under cell_misc (for
rasters).
Then there could be a command r.meta which will just read the file smilarly as
r.info. There is
nothing else that one would need to do with it, unless we would want to make it
sophisticated and copy it to each file which is derived from the imported file -
but that could lead to many complicated situations.

Helena