[GRASS5] most recent snapshot

Roger Miller rgrmill at rt66.com
Mon Apr 8 07:47:28 EDT 2002

Folks,

I dowloaded and compiled the most recent snapshot (March 22)  and thought I'd
report.  First, the changes to the monitor setup are a great improvement over
pre2.  I can now once more run GRASS monitors over a slow link.

It was also pretty easy to set up my resource manager in the new
installation.   There were changes in the monitor setup that required that I
discard my modified version of stop.c (in the d.mon package) and modify the
new code.  Glynn gave that code a much-needed cleanup since pre2 and my
modifications (a two-line addition) went very easily.

Somewhat to my suprise, moving the socket files to /tmp/grass-$USER caused no
problem.  I just didn't use the defines that I previously needed to place the
socket files in $HOME/grass.

I had three packages that did not compile.  NVIZ2.2 didn't compile.  The
reasons were rather complicated but all seemed related to the make system
rather than to the code itself.  s.surf.rst did not compile because it
couldn't find "glocale.h.".  That file doesn'.t exist anywhere in the
snapshot (or in the pre2 release)  so it appears to be a problem with the
code.  r.mapcalc also didn't compile.  The problem appears to be that some
files that should have been previously deleted (lex.yy.c and y.tab.c, maybe
others) were not.  This could be a make problem, but it also may have been
caused by my procedure.

The whole procedure probably took 4 hours.  Some of that time was spent
making sure my resource manager worked.  Tracking down the problems with the
three modules that didn't compile took some time as well.  It took a
disappointingly large amount of time to figure out which options I had to
specify to get everything to compile.  In particular, I found that I had to
specify the location of the postgres includes even though (as I recall) they
are installed to the default location for postgres
("/usr/local/pgsql/include").

Roger Miller