[GRASS5] most recent snapshot

rgrmill at rt66.com rgrmill at rt66.com
Mon Apr 8 18:58:11 EDT 2002

Glynn wrote:

> Can you provide error messages? Building NVIZ is complicated by
> depending upon OpenGL and Tcl/Tk, both of which have variations
> depending upon platform and version.

This mail client only allows me to send such things as attachments.  I
ran gmake5 in the NVIZ2.2 directory and attached the last part of the
file.

> Can you tell whether the snapshot is based upon the (now defunct)
> release branch, or the head? If there are any "CVS/Tag" files, it's
> the release branch.

There is a tag file. It contains
Treleasebranch_11_april_2001_5_0_0

> I made some changes in that area. Basically, I changed the invocation
> of lex and yacc so that they use the default filenames (lex.yy.c,
> y.tab.[ch]). These are the files which the "maintainer-clean" target
> now removes. If the snapshot was installed over an existing
directory,
> or if "make maintainer-clean" wasn't run prior to creating the
> snapshot, that might cause problems.

As it happens, I did install it over my pre2 release.  I didn't expect
to, but I had a soft link from "grass" to "grass5.0.0pre2".  The top
level directory in the tar ball was named "grass" so when I unpacked the
tar ball it installed on top of my pre2 installation.  I lost some work
because of that, but it was my own fault.

It would have been nice if the tar ball had a non-generic name for it's
top-level directory like the normal tar ball releases do.

Anyway, I did a "make distclean" on the pre2 directory before I
installed the snapshot over it, not "make maintainer-clean".

Roger Miller