[GRASS5] most recent snapshot

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Apr 8 20:26:55 EDT 2002

Roger Miller wrote:

> I dowloaded and compiled the most recent snapshot (March 22)  and thought I'd
> report.  First, the changes to the monitor setup are a great improvement over
> pre2.  I can now once more run GRASS monitors over a slow link.

Having just checked the GRASS website, the issue has become more
clear.

The download page (http://grass.itc.it/download.html) lists four

 Source Code for GRASS 5.0.0pre3: latest
 official (pre-)release of the GRASS source
 code based on the release branch below.

 CVS release branch snapshot: a subset of
 the experimental code frozen to only allow
 bug fixes. Considered fairly stable code

 CVS experimental tree (HEAD) snapshot:
 The overall GRASS code base. Modules
 which get stable are added to the release
 branch, but this tree also contains less stable
 modules such as the G3D voxel tools.

 Direct access to GRASS-CVS server

The second option ("CVS release branch snapshot") is effectively
defunct, as the release branch was terminated on March 22. The third
option ("CVS experimental tree (HEAD) snapshot") has a snapshot dated
April 5.

Someone should update this page to reflect the fact that the "release
branch" snapshots are no longer being generated. Actually, that option
should probably just be removed for now, as the snapshot to which it
refers has the problems which Roger reported.