[GRASS5] Cleaning of temp files

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Apr 17 08:02:38 EDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 01:56:11PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 01:52:11PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:

> > > What about a command to explicitly call cleanup.
> > > Then users could issue this manually.
> > >
> > > They might even set up a cron job themselfs.
> >
> > We are talking about users :-)
> > They won't do it, maybe only the first day, then they forget about
> > that.
> >
> > So it must be automated.
>
> They'll get a warning about their quota then. :)

We do not use quota here for various reasons. Even then, most users
would not understand the reason (as the .tmp/ directory is rather hidden).

> A system admin also could do it.
If he/she finds free time :-)

The problem is that I regularly remind people to remove left-over temp files
from GRASS. This looks like a conceptional weakness in 'clean_temp'.
When working in remote sensing, you can quickly flood your machine without
realizing why (especially non-experienced users). That's why I suggest an
improvement here which is GRASS driven.

> Another idea would be to add a hook for a check when
> other temp files are created.

Markus