[GRASS5] Using CVS to manage "experimental" vs. "stable" trees

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Apr 23 12:49:02 EDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 04:37:53PM +0000, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Apr 23, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>  > Thus you can :
>  > 	a) make your own branch for experimentation on grass5
>  > 	if you really must. You will be fully responsible for
>  > 	releasing anything of this or folding in at some time.
>  >
>  > 	b) help to bring over modules you need to grass51
>  > 	(very appreciated)
>  >
>  > 	c) help to make the stable release that other people will
>  > 	have more time to populate grass51.
>
> Thanks for the concrete suggestions.
>
> In my view, I don't think I can help much with the current release,
> (I'd be getting up to speed on things just as it was finishing up).
>
> So, I'll go ahead with option (b) and start bringing over modules to
> grass51. I hope I can be of help.

Carl and all,

this is in fact the idea of the new directory. The current
code directory layout is partly a mess. And, AFAIK, it is quite
a job to move directories around in CVS (not desired at all eventually).

When new code is introduced into grass51/, it must undergo numerous
checks and improvements. Even that we loose history connection to grass5/,
who is really going further back than one minor CVS version number (o.k,
maybe two or three). But in these few cases it can be also compared from
two different directories.

The current directory structure is pretty unclear to newcomers. It
is far from inviting people to start programming. That's why a new
directory structure is needed as already started in grass51/ directory.

> There's no doubt that having to hand-pick through each module will
> give us a good opportunity to do some careful cleanup.

Perfect.

> I think I'll be wanting to make some posts about how to tackle certain
> aspects of the reorganization, (after I digest what's already written
> up).

Maybe you look into
/grass5/documents/new_directory_structure.txt
/grass51/doc/migration_50_51.txt

(if you like, trash all ideas inside and improve it)

Just my impression,

 Markus