[GRASS5] Zoom

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Apr 30 13:28:49 EDT 2002

Radim Blazek wrote:

> There is one problem with modules with too many options: if some options
> depend on other options, it is impossible (now) to generate automaticaly
> GUI for such module (which would enable/disable options, depending on
> others). It is possible to write interactive version, but again, it cannot
> be used to generate appropriate GUI/XML.
> Glynn, I remember that you have once mentioned "groups of options" -
> could it help here, do you have a conception for that or it was just idea?

I don't have a specific plan for implementing option groups.

Personally, I think that the option parser should be significantly
upgraded in 5.1/6.0. Enhancements would include:

+ Option groups (i.e. inter-dependent requirements, rather than each
option independently being either required or not).

+ A more complete type system (rather than just int/float/string,
having e.g. "dimension", "angle", "coordinate pair", "existing raster
map name" etc as distinct types).

+ Improved handling of defaults, especially dynamic defaults.

This is an area where the overall design would need to be thought
through before it's worth thinking about implementation.